Allow me to share something I learned from a friend last night, combined with some other stuff I learned from amazing people I recently got to know (all of these in the context of my advocacy for local music):
Begin with cultivating the love for art.
Why is art important?
- It takes us to the root of our humanity.
- Who we are, all else stripped off.
- Art as an expression.
And then move on to identifying the problems in the industry.
- But never EVER lose your grip on the love for art.
- Do it for art. ONLY for art (and thus for yourself, because you love art).
- Never do it for the purpose of overthrowing the system.
- Someday, maybe, you’ll be able to find the good in it. Or probably never. Point is, try not to get so frustrated.
- Always remember what you’re fighting for, not what you’re fighting against.
- Again, because this is the most important. Do it for ART AND ART ALONE.
- (All the other perks are just bonuses. Haha. They will keep on coming if you keep on doing what you love.)